Ain’t nothing like a fresh, colourful salad on a fine summer’s day…Alright, it’s raining in the south east of England but hey, the sun is still out!
Now this is pretty much a ‘throw-in-every-veg-you-find-in-the-fridge’ dish so as long as it is fresh and tastes good al dente – it will do. Personally, I love a good stir fry but old habits die hard, and I just have to include a little bit of carby goodness in there to make it more substantial. So I added some pasta and labelled it a ‘pasta salad’. If it has still got the word ‘salad’, it’s still healthy right? Well this dish certainly is. 😀
If you want to knock up a portion then here is how.
Prep time: 10 mins
Approx calories per portion: 440 kcal
Ingredients for the mustard dressing:
- 1 tsp of English mustard
- Vinegar (I used malt vinegar)
For the salad:
- 1 cup boiled pasta (approx half a cup when uncooked)
- 1 baby aubergine / quarter of a medium aubergine
- 1 small green bell pepper
- Dry spices: salt to taste and a pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 inch piece of cucumber – sliced thinly
- Half a tablespoon of oil
- To prepare the dressing beforehand, simply mix the mustard with vinegar. Add vinegar 1 tsp at a time until you get the desired dressing consistency. Once done, keep on the side.
- Cut your aubergine into halves, lengthwise and then cut into slices and cut the bell pepper into similar size pieces as shown below:
- Place both the aubergine and bell pepper pieces into a pan with salt to taste and saute for around 5 mins (or until it is cooked to your preference) with the oil. Stir frequently to avoid burning or use a non stick pan. Ideally, you want the veg to have a brown edge for that special BBQ flavour.
- Once sauteed, place in a bowl with the pasta and the cucumber slices. Sprinkle a pinch of chilli flakes on top and use a peeler to create carrot shavings which can go on top of your dish for extra texture, nutrients and visual appeal.
- Sprinkle some of the dressing we made earlier on to the top of the dish and it is ready to eat!
If you would like to keep updated with my posts, please click that follow button and/or follow me on Facebook by clicking here. 🙂