If there is one thing that I am a bit lazy about doing, it’s making roti (indian flatbread)! Thankfully with my mother at home again, she does not mind making them with me. Well, I say with me but it’s more like I make it with her as I only assist..here is what a good roti should look like whilst cooking – full of air:
Now, flatbreads are so versatile. You can knock it up on the same plate as a curry or you can fill them up and have yourself a meal to go. Today, I decided to fill them up with a tasty aubergine relish with a side of salad with freshly squeezed lemon juice and it truly was delish – hey that rhymes with relish! Don’t know how to make flatbread? Fear not, this dish is just as good served in pitta bread, naan bread or tortilla.
Prep time: 5 mins
Approx calories per portion: 280 kcal (with salad: 390 kcal)
All the ingredients you need for one portion is:
- Half a large aubergine cubed into small squares
- Half a tablespoon of oil
- Fresh spices – 1 bullet chilli and quarter inch ginger crushed
- Dry spices – pinch of turmeric powder and salt to taste
- 1 large flatbread (or alternative)
And here is how to make it:
- Put a non stick pan on medium heat and place oil and fresh spices in the pan and shut with a heavy glass lid for a minute or two.
- Place your aubergines in the pan and mix after putting the dry spices in. If it gets too dry, you might want to add a splash of water to get the right consistency.
- Cook until aubergine is thoroughly cooked then roughly mash up the contents of the pan with your spoon.
- Serve in your flatbread and have a hearty salad for bonus points in the health (and taste!) department. I used avocado, young carrots and cucumber for my salad and topped it off with lemon juice to keep it fresh.
It really is something that you can call on when you need to dish something up quickly. If you can add coriander to the relish – even better. Hope you like the recipe!