I am as fond of Italian dishes as I am of Indian dishes. As a huge carbie (is that even a word?), I can’t imagine going a whole day without some sort of carbs. However I have managed to reduce my carbs over the years thankfully and replaced with wholegrain sources wherever possible.
This is a pasta bake dish that I can always rely on to cheer me up. If you are ever having a stressful day and need a substantial pick-me-up dish then this is the answer!
Prep time: 10 mins
Approx calories per portion: 500 kcal
For 2 servings, you’ll need these ingredients:
- 2 cups of cooked pasta
- 6 slices of marrow (1 inch wide slice if marrow is not too big)
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- Powder spices – pinch of turmeric powder and salt to taste
- 1 cup of grated, reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 5 medium tomatoes – chopped
- 1 small onion – finely chopped
- 1 capsicum – finely chopped
- Fresh spices – 1 bullet chilli finely chopped, 1 inch ginger piece finely chopped and 1 clove of garlic mashed
- Place your marrow slices in a butter or oil lined frying pan on medium heat. Sprinkle the turmeric powder and salt on the top and cook for about 10 mins or until thoroughly cooked.
- Get another saucepan on medium heat and place remaining oil inside. Add the onion, a pinch of turmeric and salt and cook till transparent.
- Add the tomatoes, capsicum and the fresh spices and stir. Cook until all is mashed and has the consistency of a sauce.
- Serving suggestion: get a bowl and layer with marrow first, then pasta, then the sauce then cheese and melt in the microwave until cheese has melted.
- You can replace marrow with aubergine or courgettes if you wish as they all have similar consistency.
- If you find the marrow slices drying up in the frying pan, you can add a splash of water to allow it to cook further without creating smoke in the kitchen.