Dill, egg and cucumber? You must be thinking that is a pretty gross combination but hear me out!
As a student who just started a one year placement, managing my time effectively in the mornings before work was not something I was very good at. Luckily, I would usually have leftovers from the night before however that is not my first choice either. I prefer to have freshly cooked meals wherever possible – it is simply healthier and tastes better.
Then one morning, I woke up and knew I had little time to cook anything substantial for lunch but still felt obliged to take something nutritious. So I got the leftover rice and seasoned it with a few spices and dill and put it together with a side of sliced cucumber and halved hard boiled eggs. Intrigued? So you should be. Those eggs were not yellow when I started! Have a go yourself.
Prep time: 10 mins
Approx calories per portion: 475 kcal
Dill seasoned rice ingredients
- Cooked rice – 1 cup
- Handful of dill cut up finely
- Dry spices for oil tempering – could be a piece of cinnamon bark and a few whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- Powdered spices – half tsp turmeric, half tsp garam masala
- Fresh spices – 1 teaspoon salt, 1 chilli roughly chopped and half inch ginger piece chopped finely
- Put the oil in a saucepan on medium heat and put in the dry spices and leave for a minute.
- Place the chopped dill in the pan along with the powdered and fresh spices and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring in between.
- Add the rice and cook for a further 5 mins then serve once ready.
Yellow hard boiled eggs ingredients
This is a really easy yet tasty side to any meal. Sounds too simple to be tasty but don’t be fooled. You’ll need:
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- 2 de-shelled hard boiled eggs
- Put a non stick saucepan on low heat and line with the oil.
- Place eggs in and ensure they are fully covered with the oil.
- Sprinkle the turmeric and salt on top and cook for a few more minutes and you have tasty, yellow hard boiled eggs.
Pretty self explanatory ;]